Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Public Nutrional Reclamation

There is one place where I will not tolerate the interference of social norms- that place is the sacred domain of food. how many times have i been out somewhere with a skinny comedian who eats one egg roll off his all-you-can eat buffet plate and leaves the rest for the trash? ok, only once. but then what about all the times when I have been hungry, moneyless and ravaged by an interior debate about whether to let that untouched sandwich unattended for 40 minutes go uneaten or eat it and risk the contempt and disgust of my fellow cafe goers? only to finally conclude that hunger is real and scorn is societally constructed. I bravely strode towards that sandwich and covertly lifted it from the table, sat down, took one bite and watched as the runaway purchaser returned to pantomime the 'where's my sandwich' routine to the adjoining table and then the barista. well, Im here to say to my fello cafe goers- beware! your sandwiches are no longer safe. I will not allow this consumer-driven society to be disgusted by hunger and fundlessness.
I just watched the cafe guy here pick up this woman's plate. it still had two big pieces of quesadilla on it. he picked up the plate, looked ta it again, walked to the trash, picked up one quesadilla, looked back towards the woman, looked over his shoulder and finally carefully placed the plate on the very top of his bus tray. Good snacking comrade!

No comments: